Thursday, March 10

Beginning the Lenten Season

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. That means the beginning of a 40-day period (Lent) in which Christians traditionally refrain from eating meat (not including fish) on Fridays and some people decide to deny themselves of something as a form of penance to God. Many of us can remember the difficult time I went through when I gave up chocolate for Lent in high school. Although that did serve as an act of reverence to God (it is extremely difficult to do when you normally eat chocolate multiple times a day), I wanted to give up something this year that would be an even more surefire way for me to grow as a person and develop my faith.

So, I decided to give up watching T.V.


Yes, I know. 40 whole days without television. 46 including Sundays. Although I won't be watching any shows or movies at home, I will allow myself the opportunity to go see a movie at the theater if it so happens. Thinking back on my lifetime at all of the time I have spent watching T.V., it is really appalling to think about all the ways I could have used that time instead. I saw a commercial a while ago that mentioned the amount of time that Americans spend commuting to and from work in their lifetimes, and I was horrified. But really, I can do a lot more about my lifestyle choices at home than I can about my commute (in the short term). We'll just have to see how successful (or unsuccessful) I am!

These are some of the exciting things I hope to do instead of watching T.V. over the next two months:

  • Spend time with my dog, family, and friends
  • Clean the house
  • Read my current book: Ethics for the New Millennium by the Dalai Lama
  • Exercise more
  • Brush up on Spanish and Japanese
  • Read the New Testament of the Bible
  • Pick up a new hobby
  • Bake new kinds of desserts
  • Do a better job of keeping in touch with old friends
  •  Make lunches at night for work












    And here is some interesting information from Wikipedia about Lent:
    • Ash Wednesday gets it name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of adherents as a sign of mourning and repentance to God. Ashes were used in ancient times to express mourning.
    • In the Catholic Church, Ash Wednesday is observed by fasting, abstinence from meat, and repentance—a day of contemplating one's transgressions.
    • The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, repentance, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus (Easter).
    • "Lent" initially simply meant spring (as in the German Lenz and Dutch lente) and derives from the Germanic root for long because in the spring the days visibly lengthen.

    Photo of Pope Benedict: roblisameehan

    2 comments:

    1. Wow! That's going to be tough. I couldn't do it. I don't like being here without Erik and I'll turn the TV on just to feel like I'm not alone, so I know I'd fail at this haha. But I bet it will be oddly liberating at the same time.

      PS, I'm kind of shocked at how SHORT that article says the metro DC commute is when I know plenty of DC-ers who would love a "mere" 35 minute commute.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I agree! I would think the average commute would be way longer too!

      ReplyDelete